Your home's electrical wiring is not merely there to keep the lights on. Without functional wiring, you will begin to experience problems with an array of systems ranging from your entertainment systems, home automation systems, security systems and more. Despite this, not many people pay attention to their wiring and this can be attributed to the fact that it is largely out of sight. In truth, if your house is a couple of decades old, whether you have lived in it throughout that duration or not, the electrical wiring is likely old.
Although it may seem functional if you have not experienced any major problems, the reality is that it could be causing problems and you may not even notice. The following are just two of the numerous hazards posed by running your household on old electrical wiring.
Old wiring offers little to no protection to your home
Considering how dangerous electricity can be when handled haphazardly, not many people associate it with offering their house any protection. In truth, it does. In recent years, many manufacturers have started designing electrical wiring with a protective coating made out of PVC. The PVC coating helps with reducing the risk of premature degradation to the wiring sheath. This works to prevent exposure to the wires inside.
Old wiring, on the other hand, is characterised by a rubber coating that is not nearly as durable as the PVC variety. Hence, old electrical wiring is more vulnerable to gradual degradation, leading to the presence of live wires in your home. Live wires not only pose the danger of electric fires but they also can lead to electrocution. Hence, it is essential to enlist domestic electrical services for complete residential rewiring.
Old wiring is susceptible to overloading
The second reason why you should never run your household on old wiring is due to the increased threat of overloading that this system is under. Technology has evolved at a rapid pace. In fact, when compared to a decade or so ago, the degree of technology that a residence requires to run comfortably is much higher than ever before. And even while new-age electrical appliances are energy efficiency, the sheer number of gadgets present in a home will take a massive toll on old wiring that has limited electrical capacity.
Overloading presents a couple of problems in your home. To begin with, you will be unable to make the most of the devices and gadgets in your home since the wiring will shut down. This can be catastrophic if, for example, you are relying on a home security system. Additionally, frequent overloading leads to overheating of the system, which will eventually cause an electrical fire in the home. For more information about wiring, contact an electrical wiring company.
Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Steve. After studying a lot of books on electrical codes and watching a great deal of videos online, I actually rewired my entire home. In this blog, I plan to give you tips on wiring, electrical safety and more. I also plan to write interesting facts about electricity, but don't expect this blog to be just about electricity--I love tech and other home improvements as well, so you may see posts related to that. Interested in learning? Then, take a look through these posts. I hope they ignite a spark of excitement in you.